Installing or Upgrading to lmadmin 9
lmadmin is the license manager program used by GeoStudio to serve network licenses. Although lmadmin is developed by Flexera, GeoStudio uses a unique implementation of lmadmin.
lmadmin 9 is the current supported version that we publish. It can be downloaded on our Network License Server resource page.
That page also includes a link to download the full documentation for lmadmin.
At a minimum, lmadmin 9 requires a server running Windows Server 2012 R2. Installations on older operating systems are not supported.
lmadmin 9 is capable of serving all GeoStudio licenses, including licenses for legacy versions that are no longer supported.
If you are upgrading an existing installation of lmadmin on the same license server:
- lmadmin 9 does not do an in-place upgrade. You will need to uninstall your existing version of lmadmin first.
- Installing lmadmin may require a system re-start.
- If you have any activation licenses on the computer, you may get a warning when uninstalling the previous version of lmadmin. You can ignore these warnings and proceed with the uninstall as long as you are going to re-install lmadmin 9 on the same computer.
If you are moving your licenses to a new license server:
- Set up the new license server first. Ensure it meets the minimum system requirements for lmadmin 9.
- Install lmadmin 9 on the new server.
- If your licenses are Activation licenses:
- On the old license server, start the LicenseInstaller application and choose the option to Move Licenses.
- Take note of the serial numbers you will be returning.
- Initiate the return process.
- On the new license server, activate the returned licenses using the LicenseInstaller application.
- If your licenses are node locked to the HostID of the computer:
- Run GeoMedic on both the old and new license server. This will create a diagnostic report file for each computer.
- Create a ticket in the GeoSlope Support Portal and attach the diagnostic reports in your ticket to request having the licenses moved to the new server.
- GeoSlope technical support will advise you when the changes to the licenses have been completed.
- After the new license server is running, re-configure your GeoStudio clients to point to the new license server.