Troubleshooting Network License Problems
If you are having problems getting your GeoStudio client to access a license from your network license server, please use the following steps to troubleshoot the problem:
- Please refer to the Setting Up an lmadmin License Server document for instructions on how to set up lmadmin and log into the FlexNet Publisher Dashboard (page 6).
- The client computer should be on the same subnet and have unblocked TCP and UDP communication for the two ports that the license manager is running on.
- These ports can be found by opening the FlexNet Publisher Dashboard.
- License Server Manager Port:
- Vendor Daemon Port (***This port number is usually randomly assigned. Yours is probably different than the one illustrated below***):
- Once you have these port numbers, please try the following from the computer having problems getting a license:
- From a command prompt, ping the IP address or server name listed on the System Information tab.
- Whichever ping gives a reply is the name or IP address you should use in the next step. If the ping command isn't successful:
- Your firewall could be blocking communication.
- The computers could be on different subnets.
- You will need to troubleshoot why you cannot contact the computer.
- From a command prompt, telnet to the server on the two port numbers. This tests if the ports are being blocked by a firewall. For example:
- If your License Server Manager port number is 27009, type the following:
telnet servername 27009
- If your Vendor Daemon port number is 49216, type the following:
telnet servername 49216
- A blank screen means you were able to connect. Otherwise you will receive an error.
- Be sure you test both port numbers.
- If you receive an error on one or both of the ports:
- This is typically because of a firewall rule.
- You will need to troubleshoot why communication is being blocked.
- After you have ensured that both port numbers are unblocked, ensure the license server entry in GeoStudio has the correct server name. This will be the same name as the computer you connected to via telnet.
- The license manager port number does not need to be included if it falls within the default range of 27000 to 27009.
- If the license manager port number falls outside that range, you will need to include it. For instance, if the port number is 27100, the entry would be:
- Once you have the correct server enabled in GeoStudio, your licenses should now be available for use.